Monday, November 19, 2007

Coming Home...

I'm not really a big fan of turkey, but there is one great thing about the Thanksgiving holiday that always gets me excited and that's the coming home aspect. I remember the feeling of returning home from college for the few days we got and seeing friends, family, etc... and just chilling out. It's just the greatest feeling in the world.

This Thanksgiving is no exception. My brother in law Chief Petty Officer Charles Quick returned from a six month cruise on the USS Doyle Sunday and is now home with his family. This time, it's for good. Chuck is retiring after twenty years of service to our nation. He'll join the civilian life and get to come home to his family at the same house every night. This may seem like a small thing to many of us, but for the thousands of men and women serving in our military it is not.

We all need to remember this as we sit down at our tables Thursday. Thousands will not be as lucky to have their guy or gal in attendance and it's important we all acknowledge them and give them thanks. As Chuck can surely attest, kids don't stop growing while you're away and there is a lot you miss. This is the sacrifice people! This is what these folks give up for us. They go out on patrols in dangerous places not just while we eat our Thanksgiving dinner, but while their wives give birth to their sons and daughters, while their kids learn to ride a bike, while their kids become teenagers without them. These lost moments are more valuable then any diamond in the world. If a sailor or a soldier ever tells you that it's not that big of a deal, be sure he or she is saying this only to avoid making you feel uncomfortable or guilty.


So much has happened since Chuck's ship pushed away from it's moorings at the Mayport Naval Station in Jacksonville FL last April. For one thing, I am now his neighbor. This is a good thing since my dad and I are the lone males amongst the large gaggle of women in the twisted dysfunction that is the Peachtree City Georgia based Alva family. Christ, even the animals are all female! Dad and I could certainly use the support.

Anyway, I thought I’d share with you what I’m thankful for this holiday season. I hope you all feel as lucky as I do. The photo below simply says it all...





3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, November 19, 2007, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Great post, I share your love, respect and support of the thousands of troops stationed away from families.

It's too bad (but not surprising)Francis Ford Coppola, Tom Cruise and Robert Redford don't share your feelings toward US Troops.

I am happy your Brother in law is home safely.

 
At 5:38 AM, November 27, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

Welcome home Chuck.

 
At 9:59 AM, December 10, 2007, Blogger John said...

God bless your brother-in-law Chuck for serving his country for 20 years. My son just started his first assignment with the USS Doyle Dec 7th of this year. Happy holidays to your family from ours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home