Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cast Away...



Artist: David Gilmore

Album: On An Island (Columbia Records)

Produced By: David Gilmore and two other guys who swept the floor and ran out for sandwiches (Phil Manzanera & Chris Thomas)

Recorded By: David Gilmore and another guy who he let hit the "Record" button once while he went to take a leak (Andy Jackson)

Recorded At: Astoria and four other places not anywhere near as good (Abbey Road, British Grove, Gallery Studio, & David's home) OK, David's home might be as good...

There are many divergent opinions on many topics regarding politics, religion, music etc… that divide my friends, family, and blogging community. Sometimes we even resort to saying mean things (see Dave’s comment here), but there is ONE thing that we can all agree on. One thing that says that hope for world peace is not beyond mankind’s reach. No, it’s not Scientology. Yes, it is this one universal truth: Pink Floyd rocks, and anything associated with Pink Floyd rocks. Thus, it is almost a given that David Glimore’s long awaited latest effort MUST rock. I picked it up last night and am almost all the way through it and you can rest assured that it does indeed rock. Scientists are still working furiously to validate this hypothesis, but word form the lab is that their experiments are giving off a strong indication of serious rocking.

Just about everything about this album exudes rock. The CD packaging is a well designed and very cool bound booklet housing tasteful artwork and lyrics with an unusual rubber nubbin that holds the disc in place in lieu the standard plastic jewel case. Ted's brother might actually keep the CD booklet in his kitchen for a few days after ripping it onto his iPod before it finally gets tossed (I kid, I kid... I know you store them down in the basement much to the chargrin of the Gotham Gal). You also get an additional CD with its’ own cover jacket titled “Island Jam”. I haven’t listened to it just yet, but if I had to guess, it’s a long wailing extended Gilmore shredding session over a descending riff into E minor. At least I hope it is (I’ll let you know if I was right with an update later). It is noted that this is a “CarbonNeutral CD”. Whatever that means, it must be cool.

As far as what I’ve listened to this point, I’m kind of wondering how this isn’t a Pink Floyd record. Other than the lyrics which are distinctly Gilmore and not Waters, it sounds like a Gilmore/Waters collaboration. The trade mark PERFECT production, the brilliantly tasteful guitar work, the amazing guitar sounds, the haunting layered vocals, the scary pastoral aural scenes and interludes, the big keyboard underbelly, it’s all there. (I’m listening to track 4, Take A Breath” and it sounds like it’s right off of “The Wall”).

There are many, particularly my friend Chrispy, who possess far more Floyd knowledge than I(fifth steppers in Scientology terms I believe) who I’ll rely on for a more in depth and insightful review of this album, but I will go ahead and say after listening to eight of the ten tracks that if you don’t go out and buy this album today you obviously don’t care about music, hate all things living, and probably don’t bathe regularly.

UPDATE: The latter half of the album has couple of low key mellow tunes that are just fantastic!

UPDATE II: Island Jam is actually a slow blues jam with what sounds like a Gibson Byrdland or someother type of hollowbody...

UPDATE III: Wait a minute... The organ just kicked in and it's building. I can smell a minor chord coming... OK, it just mellowed out again.

UPDATE IV: I won't ruin it for you, go out and buy it during lunch.

4 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

My guess is that it's not a Pink Floyd record because Nicky and Ricky weren't involved. I would further suppose they are enjoying semi-retirement, the former driving cars, and the latter sailing boats.

 
At 1:58 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Phil Manzanera, Chris Thomas, and Andy Jackson could probably make a very good record without Dave - hell, they could record the sound of 'on' and make it a good record.

For the record, I'd be happy to get the sandwiches...

 
At 2:37 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Oh hells yeah I'd get the snadwiches. I'd scrape barnacles off the hull of the boat!

It really does sound like a PF album, to me at least. Having R/Nicky would only have made it more pure. If you haven't heard it yet, I think you guys are going to like it.

I don't doubt for a minute all those other guys are top shelf, but I'll be they were soldering patch cables during these sessions while Dave did the work.

 
At 10:37 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Chrispy said...

Don't y'all be dissing Andy! He's as responsible for the sounds you like as anyone...

I think your question about why this isn't a Floyd record speaks volumes. The fact is, Gilmour's playing and production were an essential part of the Floyd, a fact that's sometimes lost on Watersphiles.

I am very excited to buy this record. I'm a HUGE Gilmour fan and I think his voice and playing are actually getting better...

The barnacles have a very "warm" sound, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home