Tuesday, May 02, 2006

If you don't own this album or don't go out and buy it right away you're dumb...

Instead of copying A VC's Nuggets post, Jackson's always on target record reviews, and Chrispy's famous "The Best Ever" series (he needs to continue with the series, it was awesome), I've decided to start a series over here at IDM of my own. It’s called: If you don't own this album already, or don't go out and buy it right away you're dumb...

The inaugural feature is this:


I was actually turned onto this album by a guy who looked a lot like George “Lighting Licks” Johnson who happened to be the guitar player in my band. My affinity for this record is unusual considering, that during my heavy metal years, anything that wasn’t metal sucked in my mind.

These guys have a huge discography that I will slowly accumulate, but this was the one always found in most peoples album collections in the late 70’s and 80’s. This Quincy Jones produced disc is genius stuff. Mind blowing bass playing by Louis “Thunder Thumbs” Johnson. I almost forgot about it until I happened upon it by accident and had a copy sent next day air from Amazon.

Added plus for Hazmat and I, George Johnson is a fellow lefty.

As the title states, If you don't own this album already, or don't go out and buy it right away you're dumb...

8 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Good God Man! I have to get this!

 
At 9:28 PM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm gonna go buy the new Toby Keith cd.. thanks anyway! How do you like me now?

 
At 10:45 AM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Yoda Jacket said...

These guys would never make it on American Idol..........Seacrest OUT

 
At 12:39 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Louis Johnson is one of my favorite bassists, his contribution to music started YEARS before the brother's johnson stuff. He played with the Swan Silvertones, one of the best gospel groups ever.

One of my bass player friends turned me on to Thunder Thumbs back in the day. Brothers johnson opened so many doors for me. Because of the Brothers Johnson, I started listening to Sly and the family, and later Larry Graham (Graham Central Station) who is another great bassist.

Damn, I don't have any Brothers Johnson on my iPod, but I do have Larry Graham's "Hair" to rock out to.

Great post.

 
At 11:00 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Hazmat (Dave take note too),

Turn down the lights, throw on the lava lamp, burn some incense (in your Kiss incense holder preferably), and drop the needle on this record. Any date will be putty in your hands as you're carried away to the "Land Of Ladies".

How do you think I landed Mrs. Alva?

 
At 11:03 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Coolmomma,

If you guys are trying to get pregnant this record is for you, unless Schmoopy really likes putting on those chaps and that cowboy hat for you.

 
At 6:32 PM, May 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm a little bit interested... can you burn me a copy? Uh, is that Ok to say on this blog? Not sure how you "music industry" people feel about that kind of stuff.

 
At 4:52 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Coolmama - that is indeed an 'off-line' request.....unless we're talkin' Toby Keith - we don't care if he get's ripped off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home