Thursday, March 30, 2006

De-evolution...

I saw this on the tube last night...

Why do these guys insist on validating every stereotype ever hoisted upon them? How do we get coaches, schools, parents, etc... in front of this problem and teach the shame for this kind of behavior to male athletes? Gee, you think these guys heard about the MN Vikings fiasco? Think they might have been emulating them in some way?

It goes beyond just the problem of doofus jocks. I have personally witnessed plenty of athlete "groupies" willingly let themselves be humiliated by guys like this.

Without a doubt it begins with fathers. I don't remember my dad ever sitting me down and talking to me about this kind of thing specifically ("Tony, it's wrong to force yourself on a women"), but there is no doubt in my mind of exactly how disappointed he'd have been in me if I'd even been close to any incident like this. He'd have been even more disappointed if I had and didn't do anything to stop it.

Us dad's need to teach our sons how to behave with ZERO tolerance for this kind of shit. We need to teach our daughters how utterly degrading it is to be treated this way, the huge risks that exist out there, and how to avoid them. The best place to start is the example we set with our own relationships. I used to quickly dismiss this notion as cliche until I became a parent and realized how impressionable kids really are. They are sponges and their retention will astonish you.

It really is this simple, If girls see their dad's treat their mothers like shit, they will expect to be treated the same way themselves. If boys see there dad's treating their mother like shit, they will certainly treat their future girl friends the same.

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Where the hell were the female jock groupies when I was rowing in college?

Oh...right...

 
At 5:50 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

They should simply expell anyone on the team who doesn't comply with the investigation - and certainly anyone involved, including non-participating witnesses or bystanders who did nothing to stop it. Jail for the guilty.

 
At 3:23 AM, February 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home