Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Can we dance wiff your dates?

My sister sent me this...

I went to three proms in my youth. The best one was with Jackson and his crew. There was no orgy that followed, but there was a big bash back at Jackson's folks house and fun was had by all. If I remember right, there were three or four limo's that carried a few couples to the venue, but for the most part it was an archtypical event for the times, and that's why I can't relate to what proms have become these days. I gotta side with the principle on this one. It goes beyond just proms. Parents today are so much more apt to get dragged into the whole status climbing thing in their kids lives it's simply rediculous. There is no doubt they are attempting to live vicariously through them. The last paragraph is telling:

"We go to all the parks with our friends," he said just before hopping into his jet-black Infiniti and driving off to meet friends for an after-school snack.

Are we not leaving anything for these kids to work for by buying them Infiniti's to drive to highschool in, or paying $20K for prom events?

I had a 1974 Ford Pinto and it was slightly nicer than Jackson's orange Chevy Vega which both his older brothers drove to school in before him. My kids going to hate me when it's time, but she'll drive whatever she wants to pay for herself, or she'll get a hand me down VW Beatle.

$20,000 for a beach house rental for one night. Do they have any idea how much studio gear can be had for that amount?

UPDATE: I know you guys are going to want to see pics from the prom me and Jackson attended. Thankfully, I don't think any photo's exist of me, but I might have one of Jackson and perhaps one of me at my junior year prom. If I can find the one of Jackson I'm thinking of, well... let's just see what I can find. Stay tuned.

11 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Best solution I can come up with is to not have any kids - I have real good head start on this....

 
At 4:34 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Not a good solution to me. Besides, you can't deny Katie and the rest of the world a lil' Jackson :-)

 
At 6:30 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Clarkie said...

Just to play devil's advocate, $20,000 divided by 46 is $435.00. If the rental was for the weekend and not just the night (the article doesn't specify)and the kids skipped the limos and such then perhaps it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. Most kids feel entitled to a weekend at the beach after the prom. I'm optimistically supposing that they tried to consolidate their expenses. It sounds like less of a ripoff than the Copacabana, where I went after the prom. Incidentally, I did not go to my own prom cause I thought it was lame and too expensive. I worked hard for my money. Have you seen the MTV show My Super Sweet 16? You really ought to watch it sometime. It's everything that is wrong with this country. I watch this show and I think no wonder the Arabs hate us.

 
At 10:58 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Oh yeah....watch me. Of course, I know I have no say in the matter - that decision will be made for me - as it should be. I have been playing a very good hand of biological beat the clock though.

 
At 11:56 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

That bio clock doesn't apply to us guys my friend.

The only thing you need to know now you know already: Once she’s made up her mind to have one, NOTHING ELSE will be more prevalent in her mind until it happens. Look for the signs.

 
At 12:28 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Chrispy said...

Can you guys PLEASE stop talking about Ted reproducing?

 
At 3:55 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

I'm just pissed I had to return the $20,000 those fuckers were paying for my house!!

I KNEW I should have included a break-up fee.

 
At 4:20 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Clarke,

Mrs. Alva often take a peek at that MTV show featuring the sweet sixteen brats parties. Love The Real World too.

Two of the episodes that I watched featured sweet sixteens of Arab decent oddly enough. Bin Laden must be chewing on a stick.

All kidding aside, it's a pretty disgusting display really.

"Incidentally, I did not go to my own prom cause..."

Come on, tell us the truth, Ducky cancelled on you didn't he?

 
At 5:12 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Can we talk about Ted NOT reproducing?

It's her clock I'm working....I figure I need only stall another five years and I'm golden - discretionary income will still be discretionary - no tuition, no endless buying of useless crap. I call it the No Child Dividend, and I'm happy to spend it on analog gear.

 
At 9:34 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

LOL, You're killin' me...

 
At 5:59 AM, February 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home