Monday, May 15, 2006

The USMA Golfing Grads...

Back in the land of the living. Had a great time in St. Augustine at the World Golf Village playing in the Golfing Grads tournament. I have to thank my Dad for welcoming me into his world of friends and memories. The men I played golf and broke bread with (not to mention a few beers) down there are truly the finest cut. I was the "youngster" amongst the Class of 62' team and took the opportunity to play Johnny cub reporter for IDM.

Lessons learned:

1. Old guys have to pee allot. Frequent stops to the club house, or slow play due to trips into alligator infested woods were the norm.

2. Old guys don't hear very well. While the graduates gathered for their class dinner, the noise level was deafening and we hadn't even started drinking yet. A quick look around and it became apparent that most of the men were wearing hearing aids. My roommates’ hearing aids actually served as my alarm clock. Hearing aids feedback when left out of the ear.

3. Old guys drive slow. Despite this, my Dad got pulled over at the Mayport Naval Station for an illegal U-turn. My brother in law, the retired general we were with, and I had a good laugh at my father's expense over this incident since I am the one who typically has the run-in's with MP's in our family.

4. These guys truly love each other. Some of the attendees hadn't seen one another since graduation and within minutes were laughing and enjoying each other as if they'd been next door neighbors for their entire lives. The bond created by their shared experience at West Point is really something else and quite enviable honestly. They went out of their way to include me and for that I am grateful.

We were able to play our round with my brother-in-law at the Mayport Naval Station as we had planned and he was a most excellent host. I'm am truly glad my sister married him. Other than the Navy thing, I consider him my flesh and blood brother.

My father and I contributed exactly ZERO points towards the class total, but despite our null set contribution, the class of 62' did walk away with a few awards for team play.

I don't know where I'll be next year, but if I'm invited, and my wife will let me go, the Golfing Grads can count me in.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Yoda Jacket said...

Great picture. Sorry I missed the trip.

 
At 2:52 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

The USS Doyle photo was taken despite posted signs warning me against taking photos. I asked Chuck if it was cool and he said from the distance we were at that I stood a good chance of avoiding any flack. He said that he'd be glad to spend a few nights in the brig for the opportunity for IDM readers to have a look at his fine ship.

The HMS Halifax of the Canadia (sic) Navy had just pulled into port. Guys with funny accents palying golf and such. I was hoping that Chuck was going to get us permission to board to drink at Halifax's bar, but they weren't ready to host guests just yet. To bad. I haven't had the pleasure of getting drunk with a bunch of real sailors onboard a warship. I was looking forward to getting in touch with the pirate in me.

 
At 7:05 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

I suppose you should be glad they didn't deduct any points for past crimes committed at the USMA Golf Course - there are many levels to that as I'm sure you are aware.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home