Friday, March 16, 2007

Timeless Quote...


"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late.

Accordingly, I'm readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I'll, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials- after the fact."

- Robert E. Lee 1863 -

BTW... I read a well written Thomas Sowell piece in the oped section yesterday. You can view it here. Should make you think.

3 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, March 19, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

Okay, well then do you support the cause Lee was fighting for as well?

Remember, there is such a thing as backing the wrong horse.

 
At 4:51 PM, March 19, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

The quote has NOTHING to do with supporting Lee's cause (you ought to know my feeling regarding that). No, the quote is worthy of note because 143 years have gone by and the press STILL possess the same arrogance as they did back then when it comes to military operations and reporting on war at large. They continue to thrust themselves into the story vs. simply reporting the facts. I, and many others I would presume, don't give their analysis of war strategy much weight.

While Lee certainly backed the wrong horse, he was able to hold back a much stronger and better equipped Union army for much longer than anyone ever imagined with a rag tag army and few resources to draw upon, hence why he’s still studied at our various war colleges.

 
At 12:00 PM, March 20, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

All commanders have to deal with the press, even Ceasar had to deal with, and use the press.

What I'm trying to say is that it gets worse when you are on the wrong side of popular judgement.

The Spanish American War? The press pushed so hard for war that it got what it wanted.

It's a bargain you make when you have a free society.

Stalin had no such problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home