Monday, August 06, 2007

The Clampets are moving...

Well, After three months in a very soft real estate market it finally happened. We sold our Lawrenceville, GA house this weekend and got into a contract on another in Peachtree City. It has been a whirlwind and most bazaar weekend to say the least. We had one lady pull her house off the market on us quite unexpectedly leaving us temporarily homeless, but due to the efforts of our dedicated buyers agent who was gracious enough to put up with us all day Saturday, we were able to secure a suitable substitute for the now TWO houses we lost in Peachtree City, GA. So without further ado, here she is...

It's somewhat of a fixer upper, but it's priced WAY under market (due to divorce) and it's in a great little neighborhood. We had to get creative with our search since we could find no other that had a basement for the studio and we were working on a Saturday afternoon deadline. This one has a huge room on top of the garage with a back staircase to it that will serve as the new Grey Cat Sound.


It also happens to have a swimming pool (slightly visible in the above picture). We almost put a pool in at our Lawrenceville home several years back and I'm glad we didn't. We would have never got the return on investment and it turns out that they're a lot of work to own. Much better that my folks put one in at their place. Didn't want one, now I've got one. Don't know how to feel about it. Dad checked it all out for me Sunday and said everything at the new house's pool is new and in excellent working order.

It's kind of obvious that the previous owners were in turmoil. While it's not overly neglected, it looks like only the minimum love was given to the place in the last couple of years. We're about to change all that. We're about the pimp this house. Mrs. Alva will be on point to project manage all the upgrades that we want to do PRIOR to moving in such as scheduling painting, flooring, and kitchen contractors in during the Labor Day weekend to do ALL the work prior to all of our crap showing up.

I'm sure in the coming weeks I'll begin to mourn the loss of our Lawrenceville home which we've lived in for the last 12 years and will soon be leaving. It's been a great place for us. It has been the catalyst for making another large group of life long friends through the graciousness of our most excellent next door neighbors Yoda Jacket and Crazy Neighbor Lady. We were lucky enough to build our first home, something that neither Mrs. Alva and I ever thought was possible. I constructed the first studio that I would solely own. This house is where I brought my daughter home for the first time. The friendships will of course endure. The studio will take on a new face at the new place. Memories you take with you no matter where you go, but I wish there was some way I could take this with me...


Hangin' out on Georgia Tech non-home game weekends watching college football with our neighbors into late hours with a fire burning and beers flowing is something that I will sincerely miss.

10 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Redjab said...

Hang in there my friend...You will be up to your eyeballs in new memories before you know it.

I'm going on 11 years with my current residence, so I've clearly lost my appetite for the constant move. But, I remember all the excitement and possibilities that new walls, trees and neighbors would bring. New beginnings are always good I believe.

A pool may be labor intensive but the returns are pretty cool! Enjoy you bastard!

Since I missed out on all the firepit action I expect a pool party invite!

 
At 1:42 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

Good luck Jed. Mayhap you'll find some bubblin' crude at your new digs.

I too will miss The Pavillion, but I look forward to the new Chez Alva, as well as, of course, need I say, the new Grey Cat Sound, but mostly I'm just jazzed that you guys will be closer to the airport.

 
At 10:19 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Thanks gents, ALL IDM readers are invited at ANY time (you guys get the VIP treatment). A cool new feature of the new Alva residence: a listening room. The formal living room will house all of our LP's and CD's. No TV, just a stereo for music. Might even put a PC in their for iTunes access.

Jackson is right, being closer to the airport seems like a minor thing, but it a huge hidden advantage.

 
At 10:55 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Bobby said...

Nice house! It's amazing how much house you get for your money down there.

 
At 5:18 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Nice Cement Pond, Jed.

Good luck with the move.

 
At 8:16 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger DC Lori said...

Congrats my friends. A tear was shed as I read this blog, but as someone who believes in constant new starts, the exciting possibilities that await are exhilerating...maybe not while you're painting and redoing the floors, but soon. I hope there's room for me to crash.

Be sure to wish Crazy Neighbor Lady Happy Birthday! Miss you all!

 
At 1:37 PM, August 10, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

That's a big jump across town. Why Peachtree City? Want to golf-cart it around town? The house looks great, though.

 
At 5:29 PM, August 10, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

70% of the decision boiled down to one word Beth: Schools. My little angel starts kindergarten Monday and our school in L'ville is simply the pits. The other factor that'll be nice is that my folks live down there as does my sister, her husband (currently deployed with the US Navy), and their teenage daughter.

While we were newlywed DINK's, keeping a hours drive separation from the dysfunction that is my family was a hard and fast requirement. Now with our daughter around, she just loves hanging out with the family (so innocent are children). The drop off babysitting opportunities are rich as well.

With the commute I have now, the idea of not driving the whole weekend and getting around on the golf cart is something I truely look forward to. The golf cart thing is totally badass and it scores me Al Gore carbon credits as well:-)

 
At 2:35 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

Good reasons. As a SINK, I can live where I want ... so I'm in the heart of Decatur. Damn those kids and their demands.

 
At 6:02 PM, September 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's the couple from Eddie's Attic! I forgot to ask you the name of your blog. Good thing I remembered clues and could find it. I enjoyed Peter Case and look forward to dipping into the CD and book I bought afterwards. I hope you check out tommywomack.com as well. Good luck settling in after your big move!

Best,

Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home