Thursday, June 08, 2006

Operation 19th Hole: Mission Accomplished!!!


On the great news of yesterday I'm happy to report a VERY successful call to arms with Operation 19th Hole. We collected well over 300 assorted golf clubs, many bags, and countless balls. The generosity far exceeded any of my expectations!

Topping the list of thanks is Paul Tomasulo and Jeff Mullin at Edwin Watts Golf’s Pleasant Hill Road store. I asked Paul if there was anything he could do for the cause and their response was simply overwhelming. I barely had room in the jeep for everything they donated. They didn’t just load me up with a bunch of junk, most of the clubs were brand new. Thanks again guys, the troops will genuinely appreciate it.

Matthew Montgomery at Northwood Country Club is another who stepped up in a big way. Matthew happened to see my flier laying on the counter in the pro shop and having a buddy who just returned from the Middle East, he wanted to do his part. He asked the course manager if they could purge their enormous collection of demo clubs for the cause and, again the jeep was filled to the top.

Eagle Air Freight donated the shipment and Golfsmith, Yoda Jacket, my Dad, and many others need to be thanked as well. A special thanks to my employee, Sgt. (ret.) Angelo Harris, for his help unloading and packing this stuff for me this morning.

There is more to come that’s for sure. I will continue to solicit donations for this cause and would like to plan another create worth of gear for later this summer. If you have any gear you’re willing to part with please let me know. I’d be glad to come pick it up.

6 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Good Job! Tony Alva and Yoda Jacket win the coveted Jackson Cash On The Bicuspid Award.

You didn't donate the kids, did you?

 
At 1:36 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Funny, Katie's mom had a doctor's appt. yesterday morning so she came to work with me with the jeep piled high with clubs. We pulled the jeep up the ramp into the warehouse to unload and pack it all up. I opened the hatch and golf balls spilled out everywhere. A bunch of them started down the ramp into the truck yard and she was flipping out, "Daddy! the soldiers golf balls are getting away". Then, as a joke I picked her up and told her I was going to put her in the box and send her to Iraq. Ha, Ha, NOT! She didn't like that at ALL.

 
At 2:03 PM, June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you Tony! Maybe you need to get into a new line of business!

 
At 2:53 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Too bad the second Tony turns a dime at this I'll brand him a war profiteer ;)

 
At 4:00 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Clarkie said...

Nicely done, Tony Alva. What a great idea. And as an ancillary benefit, came up with the new and improved parent to child threat... eat your vegetables or I'm mailing you to Iraq. When I was little it was the threat to be sold to Gypsies which sort of appealed to me.

 
At 2:07 AM, April 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home