Monday, October 02, 2006

Randy Rhoads 1953 - 1982

I found this tribute to THE greatest hard rock guitar player that ever lived out on YouTube somewhat by accident. Since I don't listen to the two Ozzy/Randy records all that often anymore, it's seeing and hearing stuff like this that inspires me to pull it off the shelf for a spin and makes me glad I followed that first tour all through the Northeast in the summer of 1980. I saw many, many shows and was blown away at each and every one. This guy commanded the guitar like no other including Eddie Van Halen. I remember all the specualtion right after his death, that he was looking to leave hard rock/heavy metal behind him and do something else, etc, etc... I think that was a bunch of bullshit. He might have done some chiller stuff for sure, but there's no way he'd have been able to stay away from playing that white Les Paul at full volume for very long. He was a true natural. YouTube's got some other rare bootleg stuff from shows at the NYC's Palladium where you can get a real taste of how Randy could outsize his twinkie little frame night after night by shredding the living shit out of that guitar of his. Man, the possibilities lost that day in March of 1982...

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Tell it brother. I remember the Ransone brothers having tickets to see Ozzy in Tennessee that day after the accident - bummer.

There's no telling what we lost that day.

 
At 5:19 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W-8xSj1tms

Interview w/ Rudy Sarzo (japanese), very cool, informative, and contains shredding footage.

Get the flaps out.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home