Thursday, September 14, 2006

For a departed homie...

Found this photo while doing some junk drawer cleaning last week. This is the legendary Rambo aka, Super Buddy, Buddy, Super, Snooper, and Little Black Mambo Murder In Disguise. He was a great cat indeed. He was a staple character of the old Coal Mine Studio back up in New York. He was often seen sitting on the wall which flanked the road leading up to Michie Stadium at West Point. He'd sit their greeting the throngs of football fans walking up the hill hoping that one would stop and chat, perhaps share a snack with him. He was the one who would follow me to work at the post convenience store. He was unusually amiable and friendly. He was pretty much up for anything as you can see from this photo. Try putting a football helmet on any other feline and cut to ribbons would more than likely be the outcome. Not Rambo. Sure, put a football helmet on me, why not? University of Maryland sweater? Absolutely. It was a cat tee-shirt that Mr. L Smart brought to the studio one day baring the phrase "Super Stud" that starting the litany of names. We all thought "Super Stud" was too male prostituteish so we took a Sharpie to it and thus was born Super Buddy. He is immortalized on many tracks recorded at that studio. He is partly the inspiration for my current studio’s name (Grey Cat)

So pardon my gratuitous cat blogging, but I got a good chuckle out of finding this photo and wanted to share.

Rambo 1978?-1996




5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, September 14, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

A Super Buddy indeed, king of murf, drooler of the highest order!

 
At 5:57 PM, September 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the shopette. Were you a retail worker there or a grill master, making those deelicious hamburgers? Shopettes were a wonderful thing. 1/2 kegs of Old Milwaukee $15 bucks (I'll take three please), cartons of Marlboros without tax stamps ($4.00), Slim Jims by the 5 pack, and a fine assortment of condoms available for the discerning teenage man. That cat looks ripped by the way.

 
At 7:59 AM, September 15, 2006, Blogger milkyum said...

Didnt we try to get S.Buddy to do a murf on a song? I vaguely remember trying to get him to sound off on cue (before pro tools and all the fancy-dancey sampling stuff we have today) Perhaps I imagined it..
I do recall S.Buddys love of the close-facial yawn... He certainly loved to share his warm moist cat-breath whenever possible.
Super Buddy indeed.

 
At 10:15 AM, September 15, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Milk Y,

We did indeed get him to mmmrrff on queue a few times. I dumped all that 8 track analog stuff to ADAT years ago. Maybe I'll go through it and see if I can't put together an mp3 of a mmmrrrff and have my avatar, Tiny Alva, deliver it.

His breath was quite pungent. Years later I discovered after he got sick that it was his teeth that gave him such an aire. I spent all the $$$ I had to get them fixed and once he healed he was stink free. Who knew?

Lonesome Stoney,

Your recollection of the "South Branch PX" as they called back then is spot on. I was a stock guy for them and also worked the most dreaded bottle/can return room, a vile and stinky place where patrons would bring their empties for a 'five cent per' refund.

AFES employees at WP were a unique group. The women I worked for literally shuddered at the suggestion that we turn the air conditioning on a whole week ahead of the "official" AFES AC turn on date. They acted like this would be a betrayal of some ancient statute punishable by torture and death. It didn't help that the director of the operation was a HUGE German guy whom every long term employee feared like ole Adolph himself. I always thought he was a nice guy. He came by for an inspection of the South Branch not long after I made my plea to cut on the AC (man, did that can room stink in the heat!), and oh were these women freaking. I remember he walked in the front door, greeted everyone, and said, "It's hot in here, why haven't you turned on the AC?".

Good times...

P.S. That cat could very well have been stoned given his environment.

 
At 6:09 PM, September 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By far, the best cat in the entire universe! I don't even like cats anymore...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home