Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's been a rough week...

Mine and my wife's small retirement savings has vanished into thin air, the economy continues to tank, there is talk of bailing out companies that make shitty products nobody wants (U.S. auto makers), and I'm now feeling the effects of the latest staff cuts here at work. It's so bad that my Google reader has more than 20 unread blog posts, and I'm on the verge of declaring e-mail bankruptcy (marking everything as 'Read' and starting over). I've got to get back to even in order to prepare for my first work at home day Monday, but I may just have to come in.

When did work become so much work? I hope the new administration steps in and immediately mandates a reduction of workload to all procurement and supply chain professionals.


Oh, BTW, RE: the auto industry bailout, this is the best idea I've heard yet...


UPDATE: Oops, the above link is now fixed.

8 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

First of all, don't do anything rash with the unread blogs you have to read. Read mine, which will put you in a relaxed mode THEN delete all the others and start from scratch.

 
At 11:20 AM, November 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it funny that there's talk about bailing out the US automakers.

How about they become competitive again? That'd fix things. Start fresh.

I feel your pain too...the economy has wiped out my business really, so I'm job-hunting professionally these days. And I'm not even in America! I can't imagine how it'd be to own a house and have all sorts of loans.

The link you posted for a solution to the auto industry didn't work, I suppose that's a metaphor for the solution?

 
At 12:02 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

I want my $20!

 
At 12:04 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

PB's got it right! How about making cars that don't guzzle gas faster than I guzzle Diet Pepsi?! After bailing out Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac, every shitty company and industry are going to want some too.

Besides, I want my $20!

 
At 1:32 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Sorry about that, the link is now fixed. Give it a read, it's a good idea.

 
At 1:33 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

This $20? What in the world are you talking about dear brother? Have you been sniffing too many paint fumes down in that basement of yours?

 
At 3:00 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Poo -

I agree with you, but the problem is that a failure at, for example, GM, would have a potentially catastrophic effect on the economy as it is one of the largest, if not the largest, customers for all kinds of vendors and services in the country. The ripple effects would be enormous.

But if you are espousing a purist version of capitalism, yes, the best result would be a failure that caused US automakers to become competitive.

Mathdude -

Detroit makes plenty of very high mileage cars. The problem is, nobody buys them. They bought those irritating SUVs and other monstrosities. This doesn't absolve Detroit of running their business shitty, but the meme that they don't produce high mileage cars is not true. The foreign automakers are killing them on overall quality more than gas mileage.

 
At 7:19 PM, November 12, 2008, Blogger mike said...

I wish the govenment would just bail out Mathdude already. Even I'M sick of hearing about the (alleged) $20.

Not to mention the Cardinals SQUEEKED past one of the worst teams in the league.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home