Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's better than nothing...

After weeks of ominous news and forlorn depression over the economic meltdown and the coming disaster of an Obama presidency, it looks like I’ll finally finish a day here at work with a couple of tidbits of good news to hang my hat on even if it’s short term in nature. This was one positive indicator from CNNMoney.com:

“U.S. light crude oil for December delivery fell 60 cents to $62.62 a barrel after ending the previous session at a 17-month low.”

I passed a Quik Trip on the way in this morning and regular grade was selling for $2.38 and high test at less than $2.50. That’s less than what we were paying this time last year. All indications are that crude will continue to fall in price. I’ve got a long commute and our family was one of those millions the MSM was reporting who were significantly affected by high fuel prices. I’ll refrain from going back to driving the Boxster in every day, but it’ll be nice to take it in every now and again.

My company reported strong third quarter earnings today. We’ve been tightening our belts for more than a year anyway and were well positioned for this down turn. Cash is king! Unfortunately, my boss and VP were victims of a management layoff that had been in the works for awhile and it’s been hard to get my head around it. She was the best manager I’ve worked for since reluctantly graduating from college and joining the working world (it's also why posts have been light, I’ve been a little down you see), but it’s time to brace up and move forward. My new boss is a cool guy, if not a bit young, but he knows his stuff and seems to run a clean shop.

My new boss called a meeting today to announce that he's instituting a telecommuting plan for our department. Our old VP was staunchly opposed to the idea even while many other departments were embracing it (we're a damn ISP for cripes sake!), but the new guy is all about it. While I’m second from the bottom in batting order as far as picking my days, I’m still jazzed about not having to drive into the office one day a week.

Now, if only Georgia Tech could beat Florida State this weekend… Better yet, if ARMY could beat Air Force this weekend…! Okay, now I’m getting ahead of myself.

1 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, October 29, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Telecommuting is awesome!! And it's good for the environment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home