Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bruce Dickenson For Secratery Of State...

Two weeks ago, Jackson and I were sharing a couple of beers and watching an Iron Maiden video he’d purchased out in my back yard pavilion when the conversation turned to the Paul DiAnno/Bruce Dickenson contrast discussion. As we were running down our favorites by each, I commented that I was surprised that he’d never quoted the opening lyrics to “Revelations” to me during any of our world affairs discussions since they seemed so eerily prophetic to his point of view on the current state. Here’s the lyric:

"O God of Earth and Altar,
Bow down and hear our cry,
Our earthly rulers falter,
Our people drift and die,
The walls of gold entomb us,
The swords of scorn divide,
Take not thy thunder from us
But take away our pride."


These words, brilliantly sung by Bruce Dickenson, were actually written by G.K. Chesterton as part of an English hymnal. Jackson reprinted them on Savage Distortion this week and an hour hasn’t gone by since I first read it yesterday that the tune hasn’t been playing in my head. Last night I pulled the album out and listened to it from beginning to end and would charge that perhaps Jackson’s position is represented by yet another lyric from “Die With Your Boots On”:

"Another Prophet of Disaster
Who says the ship is lost..."


If Jackson listened to the rest of “Revelations” he’d find these words which I find more suited to my feelings and again strangely prophetic:

Bind all of us together,
Ablaze with Hope and Free,
No storm or heavy weather
Will rock the boat you'll see.
The time has come to close your eyes
And still the wind and rain,
For the one who will be King
Is the Watcher in the Ring. It is you

The light of the Blind - you'll see,
The venom that tears my spine,
The Eyes of the Nile are opening - you'll see.


Nostradamus like ( I hope)…

9 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Scary. All that venom spine stuff - and what exactly are the 'eyes of the Nile'?

I'm just glad you didn't quote 'To Tame a Land' and try to equate the spice trade with oil - wait a minute....hmmmm, no, it doesn't work.

Frank Herbert was wise to force Maiden to leave him out of it.

Tennyson would have done the same if he wasn't already dead.

 
At 7:35 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger }{e@d$hot Zod said...

I actually stopped listening to almost all heavy metal for several years when Piece of Mind came out. And I know so many people say it was their best. Maybe I need to listen to it all the way through again. Maiden has always been the best heavy metal story tellers. If yuo get a chance pick-up their 2-disc DVD "Visions of the Beast"

 
At 10:44 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

'Piece of Mind' to my mind, is certainly not their best.

1) Killers
2) # of the Beast
3) Iron Maiden
4) Piece of Mind

everything else blows....

 
At 12:39 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Chrispy said...

I've said it over and over...

The worms ARE the spice. The spice IS the worms.

Fortunately, nobody listens to Iron Maiden anymore, so all of that vague prognosticating from Dickenson is, well, just lyrics on an Iron Maiden record.

 
At 2:25 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Wow. I didn't know Chris was a Maiden hata... Actually, I agree with Jackson and Chris as far as when it all went south for IM and I think we all agree that when it comes to the Herbert influenced record the shark had clearly been jumped.

Jackson,

I was streching to use "Eyes of the Nile" as a reference to the Middle East. Freedom being the reason eyes are opening.

The scary venom spine stuff is what I always liked about IM.

 
At 5:11 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Are they opening to freedom, or are they just getting wise to us and our greed?

But the real question has been asked on my most recent post......

 
At 10:07 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Hot Zod,

I'll have you know it was the very DVD you mention that Jackson and I were tuning out to a couple of weeks ago that inspired this exchange.

 
At 1:08 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger }{e@d$hot Zod said...

Its a great trip through their videos w/o all the Ricky Rachtman stuff in between.

 
At 3:21 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home