Monday, August 21, 2006

Blowing The Dust Off of Grey Cat...

Busy weekend. My mother had her 17 year old hip replacement upgraded with the latest/greatest technology and made it out of surgery with flying colors. Her recovery was aided by having two or three seasons of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on DVD at hand along with a laptop my father checked out of Georgia State University's IT center to ostensibly do more work at home, heh, heh. This is actually a notable action for my dad do to the ever so light weight degree of lying it took to obtain said laptop.

Played back to back rounds of golf with my neighbor Yoda Jacket, my brother in law, and friends at Northwood Country Club. Yoda and I are both being wooed into joining the club which happens to be right around the corner (note to anyone who clicks the link: we regualrly see those deer featured in the club's website while out on the golf course). The club has offered both our families a cheap trial 2 1/2 month membership and our womenfolk have been exploiting our temporary membership status to swim at the clubs' pool, while Yoda and I attempt to play as much golf as possible before waving off the permanent membership offer late next month. Shot 100 Saturday from the white tees, 95 Sunday from the blues.

The surprising highlight of the weekend for me was a chance recording session with my old pal Steve McCormick. Steve recorded a couple of tunes at Grey Cat over the last couple of years, but his progeny (he now has THREE kids) has tightened the grip on his free time. Steve is quite the song writer and one whose tunes I really enjoy. I’m a big fan of Irish folk music, and unconsciously his stuff seems to have that flavor. Sunday, we laid down some basic tracks to a tune titled “Miss Libby’s Treats”, which he insists is NOT about sex or drugs, but simply about candy. I’m very excited about the prospects for this tune, much the same way I was with the other completed song we recorded last year called “Someday” (you can hear it here).

It’s been a while since I’ve done any recording, having really only ducked down for some playback every once in a while over the course of the last few months. I’ve had an Alesis HD-24 24 bit hard disk recorder for about a year now without putting many hours on it, so the learning curve is still present in abundance. The HD-24 sounds absolutely amazing especially compared to the old 24 track 16 bit ADAT system that predates it in my contr0l room. Coupled with the Focusrite ISA 220 mic preamp, I’ve never enjoyed such a crystal clear recorded signal.


The real challenge with the HD-24 is the transport. Alesis last year cancelled the product which was to be the controller for the HD-24, the “ADAT Director”. This would’ve been similar to the BRC (aptly abbreviated Big Remote Control) for the old ADAT systems. This means that all the function inputing has to be done on the unit itself. Ergonomically speaking, this doesn’t present too much of a problem in my control room since the equipment rack that houses the HD-24 is within arms reach of the console chair. The big problem is that the buttons are VERY small and our session Sunday fell victim to this. Twice I accidentally pressed the track safety enable button of a previously recorded track and started recording, thus erasing a portion of an ajacent previously recorded track. This was a something that used to happen back in the analog days which I thought was a problem of days gone by. It never happened with the BRC and the ADAT’s. The second problem occurred when Steve tuned his acoustic using my chromatic tuner that he was unfamiliar with. The result was recording the guitar tracks tuned a semitone higher than standard tuning. Overall, it worked out since the subsequent “repair” tracks were much better than what we’d already recorded. One of the great things about working with Steve is that his patiance is contagious and despite these bumps, our sessions are enjoyable for both of us.

The one pleasant surprise came when swapping mics out from acoustic to vocals. I had used my Neumann TLM103 for the acoustic guitar and plugged up one of my Studio Projects C-1 mics for vocals. Coupled with the Focusrite, the C-1 sounded so much better than the TLM103, I ended up using the C-1 to re-record the acoustic guitar. I am blown away by how good it sounds. Since both Steve’s and my time is so limited, I’m sure after two or three more sessions it’ll sound horrible in comparison, but right now I’m still amazed at what we got. The compressor on the preamp compliments the C-1 very well. I’d love to host my Smoke & Mirrors friends for a session and have Chris and Ted play with this preamp. I’m sure I’d learn a lot.

I’ll post the results of “Miss Libby’s Treats” once it’s ready for primetime.

10 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

Nice work.

Doesn't the HD-24 have 'undo'?

 
At 9:50 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

That's the first thing I went hunting for in the manual once I realized what I had done. The HD-24's undo function only works when performing edits. I'm not trying to figure out if it's worth it to always be "editing" so to speak while doing straight tracking.

 
At 8:04 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger milkyum said...

That Neumann TLM103 looks nice.. how does it compared to the old pantaloon u87? I am amazed that old mic lasted as long as it did. It took several high-dives on a boom stand before it finally broke. Did you ever try any of the Blue mics? I have heard good things about some of those. I still have a Roland VS1680. I moved it out of the closet and into my living room the other day in hope that I will use it.... no dice so far. I played with GarageBand on my laptop a little too.. I do not have the patience (or time) to learn how to use that sucker.

 
At 9:37 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

The TLM is a nice mic and shares many of the qualities of the industry standard U87 without the transformer in it. The TLM is also without the U87's multipattern select function. I've used it a few times on others, but haven't had too much of an opportunity to put in hard hours on it with anyone other than myself, so I've still go a lot to of field testing to do so to speak.

It's been so long since I was in front of a U87, I can hardly remember what it sounded like coming out of studio monitors, but it is still the mainstay everywhere.

I've not played with a Blue mic, other than in the mic room at Guitar Center, but have come close to pulling the trigger on one a couple of times.

The C-1 is a mic you should definately consider if you're looking to improve the input clarity of your home rig. It is the best pro audio deal ever. It sounds so sweet and is so cheap ($200), that I envision a day when everybody finds out about them and the price triples.

 
At 11:29 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Jackson said...

And if you plug a C-1 into my new Neve designed Vintek pre amp it will sound much more like the U87.

 
At 11:47 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

What Tha...!? Neve...! Vintek!? C-1...! Why haven't you blogged about it!

 
At 8:30 AM, August 24, 2006, Blogger milkyum said...

I know how to spell Neumann...
N.E.U....... never mind...
I dont know what you guys are talking about anymore.... WAY out of my knowledge base...

 
At 2:25 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Tony Alva said...

I'll fill you in a little bit Milkyum...

Speaking for myself, one of the major discoveries I've made since our days of recording together at the Coal Mine and after working with the S&M crew these last few years, is that the mic signal chain is THE most important part of making a recording. The fewer things in the chain the better is the golden rule, and if you can narrow it down to just two things: a good mic, and a good mic preamp, you're on your way home no matter what device you're recording to.

Rupert Neve is a guy you want to Google. He is the engineer whose has designed and built the most impressive mic preamps the world has ever listened to. He's worked for a few companies, a couple that bare his own name. His old gear is as good as his new gear, and they all have one unfortunate aspect in common: the best of it is expensive as all hell. The Focusrite ISA 220 I have is a Rupert Neve designed and built product and is very lucious indeed, but cost me some skin with the boss at home due to it's price tag.

The dude built some of the best consoles in the world too. Any place that has one can usually garner a pretty good fee.

Mics are the other thing and you can kinda get which ones are the greatest indulgences. The U87 is still the killer one to have and Neumann of any variety is still very much a top dog. There have been a few new manufacturers that have entered the fold though, due to china's entry into the free world economy. There are many good large diaphram condensers like the U87 that are affordable like the C-1. Rode makes good stuff, Blue, and countless others.

Go out to TapeOp's site and sign up for their magazine. It's free and it can help bring you up to speed quickly.

 
At 10:27 PM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
I love your avatar. tell me how you created that? how you add your own voice to it?
so wonderful and the site is very creative & attractive.

best,
carolyn

 
At 10:28 PM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to leave my email:
caromia@sonic.net

I am looking for great avatars for a internet game i am developing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home