Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Headin' Out...

Yep, my beautiful and gracious wife has endorsed my trip to NYC tomorrow thru Sunday to attend a private celebration with my fellow blogging critics over at Newcritics for the sites inaugural anniversary. It will be the first time that I'll have the opportunity to meet in-person some of those that I have been sparring with politically and sharing musical musings with for years. We'll also wrap up a studio project that's been in the works for far too long over at Smoke & Mirrors. I really look forward to seeing the guys there and of course my most excellent host Jackson and his lovely lady. I really can't wait. I'll see if I can toss a post up while in country.

Meanwhile, back on the homefront, the guys were at the house to start the drywall finishout effort of my studio's isolation room. Should be done by the time I return. Next will be an IKEA snap together floor, trim work, paint, and acoustic dressing all of which I'll do myself. I'll have photos when I get back.

This may be a bit on the geeky side, but I've also completed a total data backup on the families PC. As most folks do, I bought the external hard drive and there it sat on the desk for two months. After running out of things to do to avoid setting the blasted thing up, I went to work and after three days not only backed up 20 gigs worth of data, but reloaded our iTunes library onto my MAC G4 for the move to the listening room or perhaps the studio some day. While I was babysitting the data transfer, I looked through many of the 8,000+ photos my wife has stored on the internal drive. After seeing some of photocronical my wife has assembled over the years I slept like a baby knowing that if that drive crashes I will have avoided the MONTHS of anguish that surely would have followed when she discovered all those photos to be gone forever. Not to mention the shit ton of ripped music in my iTunes library. Highly recommend doing it anybody who's got the same situation.

Be cool and see ya'all soon!

5 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, January 30, 2008, Blogger Ashley said...

I totally agree! Backup are critical in this digital age. Don't do it at your own peril.

Ashley Miller
www.ashleymiller.net

 
At 1:29 AM, January 31, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

We're gonna have ourselves a time.

Thanks Mrs. Alva!

 
At 9:52 AM, January 31, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be some serious drinking, late nights and general idiotic behave planned to warrant this kind of kissing up. All I ask is that you at least think of me occasionally back here in the trenches, holding down the fort, eating Mickey D's while you are feasting on NY pizza, folding laundry as you are sipping on scotch, forced to watch Hannah Montana as you are working in the studio, being free as a bird as I have Katie all to myself 24/7, for the next four days....(sigh)
Come to think of it, I may deserve more kissing up - and jewelry!
(and more cosmopolitans!!!)
Seriously, hope you guys have a great time.
The Mrs.

 
At 12:05 PM, February 04, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Of course the entire Alva gang is always welcome.

There was more cursing than recording, more beer than scotch......but, well, yes, plenty o pizza.

 
At 11:55 AM, December 28, 2023, Anonymous Daniel Wilcox said...

I enjoyed reading your ppost

 

Post a Comment

<< Home