Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Weekend travel log...

I’m buried at work and am having a hard time just reading all your posts out there, but wanted to pass along a few things…

A metric ton of thank you’s to a few folks:

- First, to my wife and daughter for tolerating my absence on Father’s Day. I was welcomed back with a thoughtful gift even though my solo testosterone filled weekend was certainly ample enough gift for a lifetime. Thanks gals, I love you both.

- To Jackson and the Legal Diva for once again letting me surf their couch and making a mess of their place. Living in NYC is a study in people to bathroom ratios and sharing space overall. Living here in the wide open South we tend to forget this. I’m going to have to simply insist, no DEMAND, that Jackson AND the Legal Diva make their way down to visit us this summer, or perhaps for a football game in the fall. That Legal Diva works WAY too hard and despite the fact that Jackson makes us all look bad by how well he supports his gal (the guy actually gets up in the early hours to make his women coffee before she heads out to the subway!), she DESERVES some bonafide vaca time. I hope the partners at her firm appreciate her as much as we do.

- Of course I have to thank the man who made the trip possible in the first place, The Misanthrope himself, Dave Cavalier for his generosity and thoughtfulness. It was truly a memorable evening. Jackson runs down the show accurately at his place, but equal to the shows grandeur was the company and conversation. The older I get, the less opportunity there is to sit around a bar table, drink beers, and talk endlessly about our shared love of music. With the right group of people it never gets tiring. It was very cool to also meet blogger Hazmat in person. Dave, put the Lass in the co-pilot seat of that plane and make the trip down sometime. We’ll have to find a suitable show here in Atlanta for the impetus. Impressive also was the fact that I'm pretty sure I was responsible for the only Obama bashing comment the entire evening.

- Most memorable comment from the show: After fist pumping and screaming the lyrics along with the multitudes Dave turns to us all and quips, “Com’on guys, you gotta admit ‘Iron Maiden’ (the song) is pretty lame, right?” Of course he’s right, but there is a reason he is called the Misanthrope. They're going to get you Dave, you'd better watch out.




Other things…

- Had one of those flying inevitabilities that all who travel with any regularity has at least once in their lifetime: getting stranded on the runway for hours. Boarded the plane at 3:30, got into Atlanta at 11:00. Couldn’t be helped, shitty weather left over from all the storms that deluged Iowa last week blowing through. I simply tuned out all the aggravation with XM radio Deep Cuts and the 70’s channel and watched the sparks fly. My experience does beg this question of the female members of our species though: Why is it that being in a big metal tube makes you have to urinate so fucking much?! I swear to God, every woman on that plane got up to piss at least three times while stranded on the ground, and twice more during the two hour flight. Do you go to the bathroom that much when you're not on a plane?! I don’t mind being grounded for bad weather, but being bumped into in the isle seat constantly because the mop squeezers can’t control their bladder is enough to make one wish I was sitting next to Richard Reid. Here’s a tip: go before you get on, and don’t drink the crappy complimentary beverages. Considering the fact that the rank stench of all airplane bathrooms rivals that of any Bonaroo Music Fest porta-potty after 60,000 tofu eating vegans have defiled it for four days, I’ll never figure out why women are so anxious to disturb their fellow seatmates to go hangout in there. If anyone cares to tackle this age old query please leave you thoughts in the comments section.


- Lastly, my brother Mathdude thinks it’s a good idea to record all our teenage transgressions for future generations to read and make fun of. I’m not sure he’s right about that, but nonetheless it ought to be fun at least for those who lived it. Enter at your own risk here…

8 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, June 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah 'Thrope, you should come down here for the Rick Springfield show in August. (just kidding - trust me.) .38 Special will be at our local amphitheater in August too and Chris Isaak will be here early September. Certainly neither are comparable to floor seats at MSG for Maiden, but being able to picnic at the show and take a golf cart home has it's advantages.
Mrs. Alva

 
At 1:11 PM, June 19, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Well, if you are offering .38 Special, who could resist??

I love the golf cart.

Perhaps Tony, Jackson and I could collaborate on a few tracks, thereby supplying the requisite rationale for the trip? Tony?

As for my comment, you have to admit that they would not be playing the song 28 years later if it didn't happen to be named after the band.

But, yes, Iron Maiden, is going to get me. It can't be fought, nor caught. It wants me for dead...just as soon as you show me all your "wares."

 
At 3:04 PM, June 19, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

'Mop Squeezers' will not endear you to the Legal Diva, nor Mrs. Alva I would suppose.

Meat eaters have stinkier poo than vegans.

'Iron Maiden' is weak lyrically, but I'm glad they do it anyway.

You are, in all actuallity, a rather neat house guest. Thanks for doing the dishes.

I don't make coffee for the Legal Diva all that much, mostly I offer, she declines, and I roll over and go back to sleep.

 
At 3:08 PM, June 19, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

I'd actually prefer Chris Isaak, but to Dave's point, if Tony can find a drummer, we still have a Ozzy record to defile if memory serves.

I get to say 'flaps' on 'No Bone Movies'.

 
At 4:32 PM, June 19, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Chris Isaak is a great show. Saw him last year.

Remember, I've got a 16 track analog tape machine and 10 boxes of one inch tape just sitting on a shelf.

I'm at a loss for drummers though. I'll ask Bryan who he knows...

 
At 9:27 AM, June 20, 2008, Blogger Jon said...

I'm a casual IM fan at best, but I've always heard they put on a great show. And that Eddie plane is fantastic...

 
At 6:00 PM, June 20, 2008, Blogger huck tater said...

TA,

Great to catch up with you on the phone yesterday. I will follow your blog more closely in the future.

Looked at some tickets to head to the lovely SE US sometime soon. Details later. Gotta check in with my brother to find out when he is around.

 
At 12:00 PM, June 01, 2023, Anonymous Yogurt Recipes said...

Appreciate yoour blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home