Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cool Photos...

I recently reconnected with an old grade school friend and we've had a great time catching up on things. She sent along some cool photos so I thought I'd put them up here with some others I had kicking around.

This is a fairly badass photo of me working out on the halfpipe we built in 1979. It was taken during the same era as my blogger avatar. Note the killer stripped tube sox and cut off jean shorts. I will NEVER be anywhere near that skinny and in as good a shape ever again.


My eight grade class photo. I'm the guy in the back with the chick magnet mushroom hair and paperthin Ted Nugent concert T-Shirt from the Free-For-All tour. I know, you're all so jealous. That teacher on the right actually threw an eraser at me for uttering the rhetorical question during lit class "Didn't Edgar Allen Poe do opium?". Good times.


This is actually a post card one can purchase in any gift shop in Highland Falls, NY. The buses are carrying the US Embassy workers held hostage in Iran. This was a defining moment in my political developement. I knew at that moment that the only effective way for our country to preserve and protect our way of life was from a position of strength. It was the day I became a "Hawk". Me and my buddies are high on the hill holding a flag/peace sign.

15 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Gee, that's really weird. 'Hostage Day' was a defining moment for me as well. It was the day I realized that America was an empire in decline and that we should but the fuck out of other countries affairs.

 
At 11:20 AM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

To each his own, but as a policy we've tried that and it didn't work too well. Hitler lied and Millions died.

Thanks for playing...

 
At 12:16 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger The UnMighty said...

I don't know which is more moving, the fro or the welcome home.

 
At 3:01 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Butting out doesn't mean ignoring genocide. It means let developing nations develop as they choose, not as we dictate.

And Hitler didn't lie. He was way above board about his policies. He let us know what he was about in '33 when he came to power.

What happened was that England and France let him ramp up for six years with their policy of appeasement, fooling themselves that they could bargain with a madman.

But, again, I'm talking about foreign economic policy, which is different. Of course the US should jump in whne madmen start committing atrocities. Having said that, we should drop our economic imperialism before it bites us in the ass - oops. it already had. darn.

 
At 3:14 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

The day the Iranian hostages came through West Point was an awesome day! I remember yelling obcenities at the MPs who were always such dicks to us (Sgt. Peck - Hey Pecker!) and there wasn't jack shit they could do to us because we were officially in Highland Falls!

 
At 3:56 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

"...we should drop our economic imperialism before it bites us in the ass"

Good idea, let's lift the 30 year moritorum and start drilling ANWR and off shore, OOPS we can't, your guys won't let us.

 
At 5:05 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

My guys? I have no guys.

Sure, let's continue with the oil based economy, it's been going so great, and it's so good for the environment.

 
At 5:08 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/05/14/polar.bears.listing/index.html

 
At 5:57 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

BTW, do you like how I direct the conversation away from the actual post due to my intense jelousy of your former skating prowess?

 
At 12:56 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Jackson's policy works. Just ask Senator Borah.

Oops, not allowed to mention him because he sounds too much like Obama...

 
At 2:19 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

unmighty: You know what humidity and wearing a helmet can do to one's coiffeur

 
At 2:25 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Too bad Senator Borax from Arizona can't possible win, much less live another four years.

Nany nany boo boo

 
At 5:31 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

To bad I can't possible spell....

 
At 10:28 AM, May 16, 2008, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

Hey, how many teacher-early-retirement-inducing thugs are in that 8th grade class of yours. I got John R, Mike B, Mike C, you, is Hutch in there, who else?

 
At 2:40 PM, May 16, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Mathdude, there were many others in the other homeroom classes. Hutch was one, Jamie Lagasse and Mike Nielson were a couple others. I had forgotten about all the teachers the put in for retirement that year. Geez, I kinda feel bad.

Okay, not really. Didn't they know they were there to entertain us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home