Tuesday, September 30, 2008

For Dr. Zibbs...

Pennsylvania’s own pig masked psycho serial killer and uber blogger Dr. Zibbs was lamenting about being brought back in time by a radio tune from his youth. I love that. It happens to me frequently since music was a huge part of my youth even before I discovered Kiss and hard rock. When I was first brought back in time by the song below 15 years ago, I had a hard time figuring out what the title of the tune was and who recorded it. Ultimately I gave up. Enter the age of the internets and all I had to do was Google a lyric and BAM!, it’s now in heavy rotation on the iPhone.

Back in 1976, I was tortured by being sent off to yet another Catholic School that naturally I hated. Why couldn’t I be bused into the oh so safe intercity of Norfolk VA and fear for my life like my brother Mathdude. Damn he was lucky… Anyway, while all my friends waited at the bus stop together, I had to put on a gayass uniform and wait for the carpool to swing by and pick us up so old hag nuns could wail on me all day. Needless to say, I had VERY little motivation to get up and out of bed in the morning and my folks tried everything in the book to hasten the process, up to and including throwing nasty dish sink sponges into the bed with me. It was all out of love I’m sure.

The first action they employed involved turning the radio on and cranking it up through our cheesy 1070’s house-wide intercom system. This was the only part of getting up that I enjoyed back in those days. As a result, I absorbed thousands of 70’s radio hits that crackled out of that lousy speaker on the wall by the door. Out of all of them, this one is amongst the badest of bad. If you can’t groove to it, than you simply have no soul and are a shell of a human. Or you might be like, Scandinavian white or something. Hell, even this kid whose parents weren’t even born yet when the song came out spent the time to work the tune out on the bass (restores my faith in the youth of today a little bit).

Without further ado, I give you Brick performing their 1976 hit “Jazz Dazz”...

8 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, September 30, 2008, Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

Great post! We had the same deal at my house. We all went to public school and my youngest brother had to go to Catholic school AND he could never get up AND we actually did have one of those crappy intercom systems. Swear to God. As for that song - classic. And that dude is pretty good on the bass.

 
At 11:39 AM, September 30, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

For a parent, a sure way to suck the joy out of going to school is to dress your kid in a uniform and send him to a school where none of his friends go. H.A.T.E.D. it. Not a SINGLE one of my fellow male students wanted to be at that school. We all tried our best to simply endure it.

It's hard to believe that back then all the good music was on the AM band. I recall vividly how cool FM AOR radio was as it emerged, especially since it coincided with my musical maturity.

 
At 1:31 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

1070's radio? My God, that's older than Joe Biden's 19th century television for watching President Roosevelt talk about the 1929 crash.

 
At 9:45 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Gwen said...

Good tune. A little heavier that what I've been including on the list but it's my list so I'm putting it on there anyway. Thanks for stopping by my place. I like it here.

 
At 5:45 PM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Cup said...

Yo, Alva — did you know that BRICK was based in the ATL? We Georgians gots da funk.

 
At 8:29 PM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

Alva, it that you on your sidebar above Richards and Jagger?

 
At 10:38 AM, October 02, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Yes sir doc, that is me. I'm down almost 45 lbs. since that photo was taken, but am still old as hell. That's my hot trophy wife who I fooled into marrying me by convincing here I was heir to the GE fortune, and our lovely daughter Mini Alva.

 
At 10:16 PM, October 07, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Amen. 'Little Willy' by the Sweet and Hot Chocolate's 'Brother Louie' kick started my passion for music, courtesy of a tiny little shitty AM clock radio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home