Monday, September 29, 2008

I read the news today oh boy...

Some news seems to immediately trump what was only moments ago screaming front page headlines. Take for instance the events of Saturday: Florida’s loss to Ole Miss, on a blocked extra point even! That WAS news I tell ya. Just as that was being telegraphed over the wire, the University of Maryland Terrapins upset the number twenty-two ranked Clemson Tigers. Wow! Things are getting wackier and my day is getting brighter with each passing moment was what I was telling myself. Then, relegating the Terps big upset to the backseat was an even more mind blowing turn of events that made all educated people in the state of Georgia forget the long gas lines (due to the fake gas shortage), Georgia went down 31-0 in the first half of what was supposed to be their national championship coming out party against the Alabama Forrest Gumps and never got in the game. It was an ugly scene between the hedges out in Athens my friends. Thousands of UGA undergrads mournfully wandering back to their dorm rooms to study for that tow truck operator’s exam they had coming up this morning. I'm no stickler for spelling as anyone who reads this terrible blog knows, but can we stop spelling 'Dogs' dawgs?

But the scoop of all scoops came unexpectedly on Sunday as morning gave way to afternoon as speaker Nancy Pelosi was announcing tentative agreement had been reached on the Wall Street bailout plan. Yes, after battling through a serious cold and slight bit of a hangover due to the prior night’s festivities, Tony Alva shot a round of 89 at the Flat Creek Country Club’s Homestead/Old Mill course. This was Tony’s first foray into the wonderful world of sub 90’s golf. Now THAT is some hard hitting news right there boys. When asked, I can now answer the question “What do you shoot?” with confident and casually arrogance, “Oh, I shoot in the eighties… Can you now go fetch me a plate of jumbo shrimp from the buffet please. Com’on, move along, Tony’s hungry, and put a little cocktail sauce on the side of the plate for me will you…”.

Oh yeah, nice slaughter of the Arizona Cardinals: The Last Place Arizona Cardinals, Perhaps the Worstest Team Ever Assembled - Ever! at the hands of the ever increasingly confident New York Jets. Can anyone tell me what the hell uniforms the Jets were sporting out there Sunday? I saw the highlights on Sports Center and thought the Cardinals were getting pummeled by the equally lousy St’ Louis Rams or something. Mathdude, it’s time to pick a new team my man. I’ve heard that Stan Brock is looking to get the Cardinals on Army’s schedule in lieu of Navy this December.

How’d everybody else do?

6 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, September 29, 2008, Blogger mike said...

Ahh, the Jets. I came back home yesterday from the Sawx, er, Sox, game only to find that Brett Farve had singlehandedly won me some fantasy football. I believe those uniforms were the 4th set of alternate colors from the Oregon Ducks.
Speaking of alternate uniform colors, the irony was not lost on me that Georgia not only wore black sat night, but asked their fans to do the same. Fitting.

 
At 3:02 PM, September 29, 2008, Blogger mike said...

btw last time I shot an 89, it was on 9 holes.

 
At 12:31 PM, September 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

89? Flat Creek's a putt-putt course, right?

 
At 1:46 PM, September 30, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Not quite L. Buzz, not quite...

Legitimate score, taking all penalty strokes (Much fewer than I'm normally forced to take), with one birdie on a par 5. This weekend I'll shoot 105 I'm sure 'cause that's the way I roll.

 
At 4:09 PM, September 30, 2008, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

Dude, the First Place Arizona Cardinals, Perhaps the Greatest Team Ever Assembled - Ever! are in first, not last. Check your facts before you publish.

 
At 10:24 PM, October 07, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

I love the Jets 'throwback' uniforms, technically the New York Titans old look, indeed I dig all the 'throwback' uniforms.

I went to the Jets merch site to see about getting a Cotchery or Coles 'throwback' jersey to replace my now out of date Pennington jersey (that I love, sad), and found that they only sell the 'throwback' jersey in Favre.

I dig Brett and all, but, well I want to recognize a Jet with a bit more tenure as a Jet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home