Wednesday, November 26, 2008

These are the days...

What a whirlwind the past ten days have been. My sister’s wedding was an ENORMOUS success. Like most family weddings (our family at least), they are simply too short. I always feel like I never get to spend nearly as much time with all our friends and family as I ‘d like to. I vote we resurrect the three day wedding tradition. That ought to be ample duration to work a room. Other than seeing my sister come down the isle, the highlights for me were my fathers toast to the institution of marriage and my newly minted Brother-In-Law’s toast to both his fathers, new and old. Merv’s words only anchored more deeply in our collective minds the fact that he’s an EXCEPTIONAL man and my sister is lucky to have found him. Lisa looked radiant. I have never known her to be as happy as she is now. It’s been a tough year for her and providence has finally smiled on her and allowed her to smile back. In times like these it’s easy to lose sight of what is most important. The wedding was a perfect state of mind “correction”. It would be impossible for me to go on without mentioning how gorgeous my two girls looked. Katie was a flower girl along with Merv’s niece Maya and both did their duties without flaw. Mrs. Alva looked her typical hubba hubba and seeing her work the room was icing on the cake.

Was able to get in a round of cousin/brother-in-law golf Sunday and there can be no doubt there is no better way to spend a day than losing golf balls, drinking beer, and smoking cigars with this esteemed group of gents. Let’s do it again very soon.

The party has only begun. My mother in law arrives for Thanksgiving tomorrow and we’ll head over to my folks house to over eat/drink and play dominos late into the evening. We’ve got Georgia Tech vs. UGA on Saturday (WHAT’S THE GOOD WORD?!!*) and it’s looking like I just might get to see Doctors Huck Tater and his brother Mini Mozart too. I’m also going to attempt to knock out a few chapters of this Misanthrope recommendation. Finishing this could take a while for sure.

It’s a good day to give thanks. Even though things could be better, I am better off than most. As sit here waiting to sneak out early to go home, there are employees who are walking around shaking hands with and saying good bye to fellow colleagues for the last time as a result of last months staff reductions. My sister has beaten cancer and has married the love of her life. I have a home, an amazing wife and child, family, and more friends than anybody of my ill repute deserves to have. Everybody have a great Thanksgiving and we’ll see you Monday!











*Proper response: “TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!”

9 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, November 26, 2008, Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 3:13 PM, November 26, 2008, Blogger Ken said...

Congratulations to all of you!

 
At 12:33 AM, November 27, 2008, Blogger djh said...

Just phenomenal. Thanks for sharing. And my best to Merv and Lisa.

 
At 1:39 AM, November 28, 2008, Blogger BeckEye said...

Congrats to your sis and Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 8:13 AM, December 02, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Can't wait to meet Merv. Continued blesssings to Lisa, and the entire Alva clan.

 
At 12:48 PM, December 02, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

Hey! It was a good wedding, wasn't it? The pics are up too! Go to http://www/turnerimages.com, select "Instaproofs" and go to Sweeting-Phillips Wedding.

 
At 10:33 AM, December 05, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

The Who book must be sipped like a fine whiskey. Taking too much at once will just make you surly and combative.

 
At 6:02 PM, December 05, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

BTW, what's up with all the awesome vintage cars in the background of these photos?

 
At 12:28 PM, April 23, 2013, Anonymous gutscheine zum ausdrucken said...

Nützliche Informationen,ich danke Ihnen sehr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home