Friday, December 12, 2008

And the hits just keep on coming....


When I got back from lunch today I was made aware of two firings: One deserved the other not. Unfortunately, I discovered a message in my in box notifying us that 30 MORE co-workers were going to be let go next month. What. a. fucking. nightmare. So far I've yet to find out who these folks are specifically, but it's hard to hear this kind of news since we're just sort of coming to terms with the last round of layoffs and some of those folks are actually still here through next week. I WILL be drinking heavily this weekend.

Directly under that ominous message in my inbox was another from my father with a link to a story at Go Army Sports dot com reporting that Stan Brock, Army's football coach of the past two seasons, the one I've been directing a shit ton of ire at these last few months, has been fired. I feel for him and his family personally, but needless to say, the guy had to go. It'll be up to AD Kevin Anderson to conduct a REAL search for his replacement. Someone who knows academy football and the option offense. This article leaves out Charlie Taffe's name, but it's a great list nonetheless.

I wish I had it in me to be witty and snarky right now, but I just don't. The little bit of cheerfulness I've got left I must save for my gals when I get home. Have a good weekend and hopefully next week will be a better one, right?

6 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, December 12, 2008, Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

That sucks. One of my best friends just got laid off as well as some people at the company I used to work at.

 
At 4:21 PM, December 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that's awful. The economy is really in the shithouse lately and everyone is suffering. Why do these things ALWAYS happen around the holidays too? Nothing like a merry Christmas by saying "Hey, you're fired!" Good luck with everything.

 
At 1:55 AM, December 13, 2008, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Brother, that sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, enjoy the thought of the many, many formerly rich people who were invested in Bernie Madoff's "hedge fund," some to the tune of several hundred million dollars, who just found out today that they have lost it all. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of greedy, deluded jerks.

 
At 1:30 AM, December 15, 2008, Blogger djh said...

Hang in there, TA. It always does seem that companies hit people over Christmas, but that's because it's the season directly AFTER budget season, and they panic.

As someone who has had the privilege of being laid off not once, but TWICE in one year
(1998), I will tell you that if it DOES happen, sometimes it is a blessing in disguise. I know that that is cold comfort in this economy, though.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for ya. Most likely one of the 30 WON'T be you. Don't dwell on it over Christmas; you can't change the inevitable, no sense in stressing it one way or the other; just have a nice Christmas with your girls.

 
At 6:00 PM, December 15, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Thanks for the incourging words Dana. I've made the cut for the the third time now. I'll have a job thru the holidays which is better than many.

Come on recovery...

 
At 2:40 PM, December 16, 2008, Blogger mike said...

Army should take Charles Barkley's advice and hire Turner Gill. They ARE the black knights, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home