Thursday, August 16, 2007

New team added to Tony's list...

As this year's college football season begins (the greatest sport ever!) to loom large in our front windshields, I am officially adding a team to my list of those I will show unbridled love for this season. In honor of my wife and in-laws who hail from the great state of New Jersey, and based on their historical underdog position, I give you the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

While living at West Point, the Army vs. Rutgers game was a sure fire "W" on Army’s win/loss card. "At least we'll beat Rutgers..." was the popular preseason quip while discussing Army's football schedule. Whether home or away, Army ran it up against the redder of the two Knights.

That was until last year. Oh what a season it was for Rutgers. If it wasn't for the bullshit Imus fiasco, we'd still be talking about Rutger's football. Rutgers was one overtime field goal away (against UWV) from screwing the BCS system big. They were no fluke. They played great football last year and this year they're poised to prove it again. It would be great if Rutgers could find their way to contention again and would hopefully fire up the NY/NJ area to the magic that is NCAA Div 1A football by giving them a stake in the game.

I was actually in NJ during the Rutgers Texas Bowl game and was aghast to discover that the game WASN'T EVEN TELEVISED in the NJ/NY area! I went down to my mother in laws TV room with my beer and bowl of Cheetoes, clicked on the big screen and found nothing. That is criminal my friends. Let's hope that they change broadcast programmers minds this year by putting up another great season.

Go Scarlett Knights!!!

4 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, August 18, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

I think Rutgers will make the TV schedule this year.

 
At 11:26 AM, August 18, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

Will I be dropped off the blogroll if I admit that I just don't care for football?

 
At 12:05 PM, August 20, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Don't worry Beth I won't drop you off the blogroll, although having attended UGA and somehow NOT becoming a football fan is a rare occurance indeed.

 
At 11:57 AM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

I'd much rather you hate the game than be a Cowboys fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home