Thursday, August 07, 2008

Big plate of Favre beans and a nice Chianti...

Wow. When I went to bed last night, the wire was reporting that the Tampa Bay Bucks were going to get him, but when I flipped on the tube this morning the top story was that Brett Favre is going to play for the New York Jets this year. I guess we'll have to see how seminal Jet fan and uber blogger Jackson reacts to this latest development, but I myself am pretty psyched about it really. I like the Jets almost as much as my home team and my life long homeboys the hapless Oakland Raiders.

Of course lots has been made in the last few weeks about Brett’s indecision and second false retirement (how many farewell tours has Kiss done?), and feelings are hurt pretty bad up in Green Bay (another team that I happen to like a lot) amongst fans, players, and officials alike.

The bottom line is that Green Bay made the right move by sticking with their young up and comer Aaron Rodgers. They absolutely had to. I’m inclined to think that Brett had no allusions about usurping the Packer’s plan set in place when he announced he’d be leaving football at the end of last season.

Having said all that, I wonder why the Packer organization knowing that this was what was going to be the outcome couldn’t have done this deal more gentlemanly and in a more professional manner? Green Bay fans were going to be bummed no matter what, but I see no upside at all to pissing Brett off to the point that he’ll feel uncomfortable making his way to Green Bay in his real retirement for the sure to number in the millions invites he's going to get to honor his career with the Pack? I’m not letting Brett off the hook by any means since I’m certain his personality played a roll in all the acrimony, and after all, it was his indecisiveness that created the shit storm to begin with, but the Packer front office would have been smart to have acknowledged Favre's upper hand from the beginning, worked to maximize their trade leverage, and been able to shake the guy's hand while he cleared out his locker. I’m confident that the relationship will repair over time, but I’m miffed at how it got to this elevated temperature.

As for the Jets, I think they’ve got to sit Chad Pennington right away and try to get their money out of Favre. I like Chad a lot as does Jackson. He’s a motivator on and off the field and while not blessed with a Peyton Manning rocket arm, or Mike Vick speed, he’s a leader in the Richard Todd sense. Good for the Jets. I’m more excited about the lesser game of pro football than I’ve been in years.

As for the Pack, shrug it off and stick with the plan you put in place back last winter. With any luck, Rodgers will be the next *Romo.

*This in no way means that I like Romo or the Dallas Cowgirls in any way shape or form. Just saying he's taken his team farther than his predecessor. For all intent and purposes the Dallas Cowboys blow and will always blow.

11 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, August 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that, TA. The whole ordeal was so poorly handled. What kind of organization cancels a team meeting so that they can instead discuss the status of a player?

Nice save on the Romo comment. I can respect a Jets, Packers, and barely a Raiders fan (never the Cardinals, Vindaloo, that is a terrible team to follow!), but Dallas fans are deplorable.

I think Favre's making a big mistake. He will never live up to the expectations of NY and only sully his legacy, like many HOF QBs before his time, by staying in the game too long. He made it through his career relatively injury-free - why take the chance now to play QB on a crappy Jets team? He has nothing to prove.

I'm not sure calling Pennington a leader "like Richard Todd" was much of a compliment either. Trent Dilfer was a strong leader on a great, defense-first Baltimore Super Bowl team but he chucks passes with less accuracy than you and your brother when throwing raw eggs at my kids.

 
At 11:27 AM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Bobby said...

West Point is a long way from Oakland. I'm just sayin...

Basbeball fans are usually true to the team that is geographically closest to them.

In football, geograhpy doesn't seem to be that big of a factor. Not sure why that is???

 
At 11:38 AM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Bobby: The Oakland Raiders thing has a West Point connection. My father was in the same company at West Point as Tom Blanda, younger brother of George Blanda famed Okaland Raiders QB and field goal kicker. We got to meet George when we were youngsters at a dinner party my folks were throwing. Was a fan from that moment on...

 
At 11:01 PM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Jackson said...

Well, Green Bay now have three QB's with zero time on the field. I'm not sure they made the right descision. Rogers hasn't taken a snap yet, and he's already got injury issues.

I like Brett, always have. I think he'll have a good year with the Jets and then actually retire.

Looks like Chad may end up in Miami.

The Jets were crappy last year.

That was last year.

 
At 8:28 AM, August 08, 2008, Blogger Jon said...

I'm just glad this Brett Favre fellow will get to play in a major market like NYC. Now maybe he'll finally get the media attention he so sorely deserves.

 
At 11:30 AM, August 08, 2008, Blogger Falwless said...

I, for one, love The Jets. I didn't know Favre sung, though.

(And yes, I am going to use this joke on every post I find today on this topic. Shut up.)

 
At 2:36 PM, August 08, 2008, Blogger BeckEye said...

Maybe Brett Favre could hook up with Miley Cyrus and then the media could just stop talking about everyone else and just focus on those two. Not that they don't do that already, but if they're together (Briley? Favrus?) it would just be that much easier.

 
At 2:55 PM, August 08, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

I love when chicks hate on sports!

Man Falw, that is some sick shit to be linking to in a brother's blog comments. I hope I never make you mad.

BE: I'm betting you've been clobbered with the Favre thing since it broke being so close to it all in NYC, but with the Miley break up and Favre thing all over the place, Bush can now invade Iran with nary a notice.

Did I use the word nary correctly?

 
At 10:57 AM, August 09, 2008, Blogger mike said...

J...E...S...T...JEST! JEST! JEST!
I think that Favre is in for a rude awakening: The NFC north is full of parity, the Bears, Vikings, Packers, etc all could be good or terrible from week to week. He will get to beat up on the Dolphins, but he also has to face the Pats at least twice. And nothing says "winner" like an old fashion QB controversy. go JEST!

 
At 8:52 AM, August 11, 2008, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Ahhh Mike, PLEASE do NOT tell me you're a Pats fan. Please let that not be true...

That's almost like being a Cowboys fan, but worse.

 
At 8:29 PM, August 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just LOVE Brett Favre! I think what I love best about him is the fact that no one shows as much excitement for the game as he does. All crap aside, there is nothing better than watching that boy scramble under pressure and throw that football like a torpedo! It just gets me all warm and fuzzy inside. My bet is that he's got more good years ahead of him. Let's go JETS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home