Monday, August 27, 2007

Home Sweet Home...

My youngest sister has just returned from her high school reunion and sent some pictures in an e-mail titled "ahhhh HOME!"

Having grown up an Army brat to my career military father, the answer to the familiar question "So, where are you from?" was one that for a long time I would have to think about before I answered. I was born in Munich, Germany, but could hardly call that home since we left Germany 2 years later. Before moving back to New York in 1977, Newport News, Virginia was the place I had lived the longest, but would hardly call it my home. It wasn't until I graduated from college that I felt comfortable offering an answer that I could consider sincere and truthful.

The first time I realized "where I was from" was my first trip back from college for Thanksgiving. It was then that I realized that the fondest and most indelible memories I had up to that point were from the period of my life spent there, at West Point, NY. West Point is a military reservation, so you don't own your home while you're there. In fact, many have lived in the house you occupy before you arrived, and many have still since we left in 1988, but no matter the reality of this I KNOW where my home is. This is it...
48c Wilson Road, West Point, NY 10996. Where I grew up. The place has held up well. Thanks for the pics sis.

9 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, August 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long do you have to live somewhere before you have to start calling it home? Something I've been pondering.... Do I have to start saying I'm from Maryland because I've lived here now longer than I lived at WP?

I never appreciated it until I left!

 
At 3:01 PM, August 27, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

My rule is at a minimum it's where you lived before you went to college, graduated, and joined the real world. Akin to "Where'd you grow up?" IMHO

 
At 7:01 PM, August 27, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

That's a great house.

How's the new abode?

 
At 2:51 AM, August 28, 2007, Blogger Redjab said...

Yes Sir!

70-A Schoefield Pl. and 501-A Merrit Rd., West Point, NY would be my answer.

It was the longest I had lived in one place (4 years) up to that point. Most of our assignments were 1 year with a couple of 2 and 3 year stints over-seas sprinkled in.

I don't feel any connection with Oklahoma my birthplace and 5 years later, my brother's birth place.

These days, I am a Californian but I grew up at West Point. The place truly was special.

 
At 4:23 PM, August 28, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

WP will always be my home - hell I met you all there. Though 68-B Schofield was my home, I can say that 48-C Wilson Road always felt like home to me.

 
At 9:00 PM, September 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Jackson, you certainly were around enough for the rest of us to think you actually had a bed there too! :-)

 
At 9:06 PM, April 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived at 48 B right next door for 8 years in the 90's.... It will always be home!

 
At 12:23 PM, May 21, 2013, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to comment as well.....a place I will always call home and always have fond memories of will be 45A Wilson Road from 81 to Dec 83.....David Eckert

 
At 12:26 PM, May 21, 2013, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to comment as well.....a place I will always call home and always have fond memories of will be 45A Wilson Road from 81 to Dec 83.....David Eckert

 

Post a Comment

<< Home