Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Anybody need any boxes?

I'm so sore from moving activity I can hardly stand up, but I have to say that we made good progress over the long weekend. Getting all the audio/video systems hooked up, all the cabling buried into the baseboards, and our new plasma hung up on the wall kept me from taking in many football games, although I did slap together a temporary system and catch the GT Yellow Jackets stomp some Notre Dame ass. It appears Army has blown it once again with their coaching choice and insists that they will somehow find a way to run a pro-set passing dominated offense instead of doing what the other service academies do and run the option. The cadets got beat by the Akron Zips 22-14. It wasn't as close as the score. The Terps, Penn State, and Clemson all won so I'm feeling pretty good about week one. Michigan leaned a lesson about scheduling cupcakes for home openers.

I was even able to take an hour respite and jump into our swimming pool for the first time. I tell you what... as long as it doesn't break down or before it fills with leaves in the fall, the pool is most awesome! I am amazed that all our crap fits into this house since we left a place with a basement for one without, but we're at 95% unpacked and there are actually places where things look sparse.

Mrs. Alva and I kept our date night plans and drove up to Decatur's Eddie's Attic to catch Tommy Wommack and Peter Case. We employed our niece Caroline as babysitter for the first time and it worked out well. Caroline got an iPod for her birthday not too long ago and only had 27 songs on it thus far. We paid her in iTunes gift card credits and she was happy as a clam. Peter Case played his third set of the day after a couple of appearances at the Decatur Book Festival and although he looked a little tired, he rocked his and our asses off. He didn't play a single song in standard tuning the whole night opting for his perfected Mississippi John Hurt style picking. The guy indeed makes a guitar sound like a band. And that voice!!! His set well represented his catalog girth with songs from his first to his latest. A great date night it was.

Last night, our good friends Bryan and Karen Caldwell dropped by to see the new place and provided us the perfect excuse NOT to do anymore unpacking and instead drink a couple of beers/wine and hang out in the listening room. Bryan's an old friend of Mrs. Alva and I and he and Karen moved to Peachtree City a year ago or so. We cannot believe our luck that they live so close.

Well, we've got our first home game tailgate next weekend and will be scheduling our house warming party soon. ALL IDM readers are invited. Be fair warned that there may be a slight chance that someone ends up going into to pool fully clothed at some point. Look forward to seeing you all there.

5 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Jackson said...

Can't wait to come visit.

 
At 2:00 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

I am happy when ever Notre Dame gets wooped.

congrats on the new house and a successful move.

I bet Peter Case was awesome - I would love to see him play.

 
At 3:30 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

Today I'm bummed about missing Peter Case — both at the bookstore (I went to see Hollis Gillespie instead, thinking I'd see him that night) and at Eddie's (the draw of all those great books pulled me home). Also sorry we didn't get to meet!

 
At 5:29 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Tony Alva said...

As well am I Beth... There was a gal sitting next to Mrs. Alva and I who had shared your hair style, or so the wife says, and was scribbling into a notepad. Mrs. Alva kept insisting it was you and at at last had me ask, "Are you Beth?" She wasn't of course, but she was a Tommy Wommack fan who had traveled from Jacksonville FL to see him. She also met some other Wommack fans who she only knew through blogs.

Gotta love this blogging thing...

 
At 7:29 AM, September 05, 2007, Blogger Cup said...

HA! That sounds like me. I am one of those blogging nerds who scribbles in a pad throughout concerts and author readings to make sure I don't miss anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home